A Nice Last Day

Today was really a nice day.  We began it earlier this morning by “splitting up the Fellowship”.  Kyle had to go to work, so he declared his staycation over.  He said goodbye around 8:00 a.m. and headed to his resort.  Fr. Brian and I went to Trattoria al Forno at 9:00 a.m. for breakfast.

After breakfast, I went back up to my room, packed, and stripped the bed to make it easier for housekeeping.  I also packed up my “Owner’s Locker” to be picked up later in the day.  It is a pay-for service in which you can pack up the container with as much as you want and it is kept in an environmentally controlled warehouse throughout the year and delivered/picked up at the resort you intend to visit.  I keep electronics there (razor, toothbrush, multiple power outlet, et cetera) as well as shoes, sweats, pillows, and the like.  That way, I don’t have to haul a lot of stuff and risk overweight suitcases.  A lot of people use it to store coffee pots, liquor, and the like.

After I finished packing, I stepped onto my balcony for a final look.  As I looked out, I thought to myself, “You’re going home to a snow storm.  You better store up this image for a while!”

Check out at the resort is 11:00 a.m.  At 10:50 a.m., Fr. Brian and I went downstairs to check in to the airline desk.  We checked in our suitcases and got our boarding passes.  All we had to do was wait for the Noon bus to take us to the airport.  However, lo and behold, there was an 11:00 a.m. bus preparing to depart.  We asked the driver if we could take that bus instead of our assigned Noon departure.  He said that was fine with him.  If we had to sit around somewhere, better at the airport than at the resort.  After all, there could always be a snag with traffic or a problem with lines at security.

Fr. Brian and I got to the airport, cleared security, and transferred to the terminal.  By then, it was 12:30 p.m., so we ate lunch.  I got something from one of the Asian stands.  It sure did not match up with what I had been eating for two weeks. 🙂


From there, all we had to do was wait for our flight to depart.  Our 3:00 p.m. flight took off exactly at 3:00 p.m.

The flight was smooth all the way to Chicago.  We arrived at Midway Airport ten minutes ahead of our scheduled arrival.

Our bags were out in record time.  As soon as we got them, I called our driver and he met us up front.  We expected a lot of traffic but made it home with very little problem.  Considering that we landed at 4:35 p.m., had to deplane and get our bags, and drive home, we made it to the parish at 6:00 p.m. as the Angelus bells began to ring.

So, the day went smooth and I’m back home.  I have no idea what is waiting for me at the office.  I’ll find that out tomorrow morning when I go over for the 8:30 a.m. Mass.

Vacation’s over.  Back to reality!


2 Replies to “A Nice Last Day”

  1. Glad you’re back… all safe and sound! Your vacation sounded (and looked) great! It certainly made me want to go back to Disney. (It’s been 20 years!) Much has been added since then… and so much I didn’t see 20 years ago. Welcome home!! Pat Kish

    1. Thanks, Pat. I’d like to say it’s good to be back but, well, um, considering the present weather…. 🙂

Care to comment?